Thursday, March 26, 2020

If I'd known

This is for all the teachers, like me, who are retiring this year and ending their careers in an unimaginable way due to the Covid-19 pandemic.  We are the ultimate seniors missing our own special good-byes:

If I had known I would never get to teach Romeo and Juliet again, never again guide students through this literary rite of passage rather than preparing them packets, I never would have retired this year.

If I'd know I wouldn't get those last two chances to teach composition and get it "right" before retiring, I never would have put my paperwork in.

If I'd known I wouldn't get a proper goodbye--to a full class, to bustling halls, to my friends, long-time colleagues, my homeroom kids, the bells, to room B219, to my building, the center of my life for (nearly) 33 years, I would have stayed another year.

If I'd thought for a minute that I couldn't sit just one more time with RPS faculty and staff at graduation and watch those kids walk across the stage, I certainly would have planned for another year.

If I had known that when I said, "Have a great weekend" on March 12 that what I really meant was "I hope you have a wonderful life," I wouldn't have taken the last term for granted.  I would not have spent these last months looking ahead toward a finish line.  I would have savored all the moments.  All of them: the funny, the annoying, the joyful, the infuriating.  Every single one.  I would have said to my students, my colleagues--young and old--my bosses, my friends, my department, "Thank you for making this last year great.  Thank you for everything always."

If I'd known, I'd have made sure to say "I love you guys."







No comments:

Post a Comment